Stay for more takeout if:
- you fangirl over words of every form and just rereading won't cut it for you — we have headcanons, questions, and predictions everywhere
- you're a supporter of #WeNeedDiverseBooks and want to read/write/discuss diverse representation
- you're interested in learning more about Chinese culture from a local's perspective
- you like cake and/or chocolate (does anyone not like cake?)
- and sign up for bonus takeout here!
New here? Start by reading these popular posts:
- Chinese Culture: Mulan: The original Chinese ballad, a story of a girl who made it home. No more, no less. Plus, you can snag the translation right here.
- 5 Reasons for Black Widow movie: Why Marvel is missing a huge opportunity for a wonderful movie.
- Snazzy Snippets from the Witchy China WIP: 3 snippets of Mulan + Swan Lake retelling awesomeness.
- 5 Steps to Defining Your Book Blogger Trademark: Insanely detailed 2000 word explanation to making yourself stand out in the book blogging community. With a bonus action guide!
Interested in even MORE content? For example:
- a short story about an assassin-witch who critiques tea and conquers cities
- a 30-step checklist to becoming a super unique book blogger
- 5 bookstagram templates to show off those shiny covers
Alyssa Carlier scribbles YA fantasy novels about empowered, diverse girls (like herself) in worlds of magic, madness, and murder (unlike herself). Her works have appeared in publications such as Corium Magazine, Glass Kite Anthology, and Germ Lit Teen. She writes about diverse representation and Chinese culture on her book blog, and shares her best daydreams—like her Mulan translation—with her takeout army. Alyssa hasn't noticed Jedi mind tricks work better in second person than third.
- rewriting the witchy Mulan + Swan Lake retelling
- drafting the Secret Teacup Party
- planning a year-long secret bookish challenge
- interested? join my takeout army for monthly updates about my projects!
Background and colour palette by Topaz. Social media icons by Carrie.